This all came out while writing my previous post. Writing is like therapy for me. And you all get to see it. Don't you feel special? I bet. So this hasn't been proofread or censored, and I'll probably regret writing most of it. But here it is.
How come nobody tells you what growing up is really like? They tell you that marriage is "hard" and you see mom's roll their eyes and get a little frustrated with their kids, but nobody tells you that you're going to want to wring your kid's neck sometimes? Or do they? Or am I the only one that feels that way once or thrice every day or two? Did they tell me & I just didn't listen? Or didn't get it? Like did someone say, "You're going to feel like you're working with idiots all day. They aren't idiots. This is their first mortal experience so they're learning everything. The fact that you lug your 30 pound baby up into the seat portion of the shopping cart doesn't mean that he's going to know that he has to put each leg through a different hole and sit down (even tho you've taken him to the store at least 100 times). They have to keep learning that. You're 3-year-old is going to ask you to explain an abstract (or basic/concrete) concept 12 times in a row even though you both know he's not going to get it. There will be no 'he'll use his common sense to fill in the blanks on that one" because there is no common sense. (My Dad was right. Boys don't grow a brain until they're 21.)" Nobody tells you "your life will be a never ending battle of little hands following behind you and undoing everything you've done. Your husband will go to work and see what he's accomplished at the end of the day and come home and get to be "the fun one". You'll stay home and work on a project all day. And while you may or may not finish that project, the rest of your house will be torn to shreds because your kids will find anything and everything else to keep themselves occupied while you tell them to leave you alone for a few more minutes. (Which will leave you feeling terribly guilty that you aren't including them in learning how to work and organize and finish a task. But that would involve 36 explanations about 3 separate concepts - let's not go there.) And then 5 o'clock will roll around and everyone is hungry and tired and feeling the effects of a cluttered house, and you'll try to tidy up. But while you're doing that, your kids will pull the bag of bread out of the fridge and take one bite out of every piece of bread left in the bag because they can't wait six more minutes until you've at least pushed the mountain of toys from the kitchen floor into the next room. And don't even think about asking them to help put away the toys they've spent all day getting out and playing with because they'll pitch a fit and tell you they're too tired and need help. And this will leave you feeling like the wicked stepmother. Only you're really the wicked real mother who should be a lot nicer."
Well there you have it. I've spilled the secret. Being a stay at home mom is hard. It's not just hard because you're with the same people 24/7/365 or because anything and everything you want to do has to wait until after bedtime (by which point you're too exhausted to do anything anyways). It's hard because you are trying to teach your kids good things. You're trying to help them be self-disciplined and respectful and kind and polite and tidy, and they're going to hate you for it. They're going to balk at just about everything you tell. (But surely people learn this by their second child and a lot of them continue to have more. So they probably know a lot more than I do.) And then you'll realize that you wanted this. And you'll realize that some people don't get to have kids. And some people don't get to bring their babies home from the hospital. And then you feel guilty and sad and humbled and repentant and you try to do better. You start to realize that if you'd just stop feeling sorry for yourself, there is plenty to smile (and shake your head) at. There's plenty to laugh about. There's plenty to be grateful for. The messy house and the fits of fighting and the come-apart days that leave everyone in tears are the small dark lining to a much bigger silver cloud full of hugs and laughing and funny faces and made-up words and talks about Jesus. That part is pretty indescribable. And maybe that's why nobody tells you the first part - because the rewards are accompanied by feelings that only you will understand and you will have to figure all this out on your own.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Amen, amen, and amen. Thanks for saying exactly what's been on my mind lately.
You're great. You pretty much just said it all...today has been one of those days and I needed to hear that I'm not the only one who feels like this. Thanks!
It was fun to see your thought process here. I think being a mom is hard- really hard. But when you get over all the feelings of frustration that for sure happen there are totally the moments of happiness and the feelings of real love and caring. Your boys love you no matter how many times you yell at them. And sure Mark works out of the house and is the fun one at night but Carson and Burke know you better, think of how when Carson gets hurt he says that he wants mom. We definately have it hard but it is pretty awesome too. I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like the wicked bad witch sometimes.
I sooooo can relate! :) Trust me, you are not alone!!!
It's true--there is so much good that comes with motherhood. And there is so much stress and struggles! You know, the other day in church we were watching our youngest crawl around on the floor and smile up at us, and Brandon said "and to think we wondered if we should even HAVE another one. I just can't imagine life without him!" This, after how many countless sleepless nights, and being puked on, and the teething and the crying and...you get the picture. :)
But it is A-OKAY to have those pouty days...I feel, at least. They give you a chance to truly reflect and see the good...
that rainbow that can only come after a big storm. :)
I was sitting on my couch a couple days ago with Briggs's throw up on my right shoulder, breast milk leaking down my left side, Brenna on the toilet screaming for me to come help her, I really wanted/needed a shower, and thinking "ok, let's start thinking about how many blessings I have..."
Some days are harder than others.
Tyler and I laugh a lot.
We decided if we didn't, we'd probably cry. The end.
P.S. I loved this. Honesty is refreshing - none of this blog fluff.
i kinda want to put this on my blog! You said it right on! You are good with your words. I know ALL stay at home moms feel this way. It is HARD and TEDIOUS and never ending! But it is worth it. I have kept the saying in my head the last few days, "Life is to be enjoyed not just endured." This has tried to make me smile a little more and make the kids laugh more. "things" can wait, but the kids grow up too fast and they don't! Wish we lived closer for playdates!!
Oh my gosh Hilary, I LOVE THIS POST! Why? Because I had thought I was the only one feeling this way. I feel absolutely HORRIBLE when I have bad days and get so frustrated because I always tell myself, I get to stay home with the kids, why am I complaining. But yesterday I was sooo frustrated after telling Justice to do the same thing 5 times 2 days in a row and I had Brodyn following me around crying, the puppy whining at the door...well I just left Karson with the kids and went for a drive and turned my music as loud as I could!! It sure helped. 20 minutes and I was feeling better. I think that will be my escape from now on. anyways, I am happy to hear Im not the only one. I still don't like when I get so frustrated, but to know its not just me is refreshing.
ps I think you are an amazing mom and I seriously envy your mothering skills and how great of a wife that I read you are!!!
I can hear you speaking as I read this, and it's great. I liked the last part the most. lol. I just had a moment tonight trying to get Norah in bed while Jake is at the school studying. . . she would not settle down, I was impatient, and finally she said to me, "Mommy snuggle in bed with Nonah. Under blankies." That took the air out of me. She just wanted a little time, with me. So I crawled into her little bed because I know these moments will vanish quickly.
It's tough, but if we don't do it, who will? That's a scary thought. . .
Oh, Hilary! You're great. I wish I were your neighbor (am I? Where do you live?! For some reason I think we might be closish...) - if I were your neighbor, I would come over and let you get out and breathe. We have ALL been exactly where you were when you wrote this and it is refreshing to have someone express it!
But my oldest is turning 5 next week. In the fall he'll be starting kindergarten. And that has made me realize something - our time when we are their whole worlds is soooo short. Five years is nothing and then all of a sudden they're not around us so much because they're in school listening to other people's ideas and theories. And it makes me wonder - "have I done enough with him?" "Have I taught him enough?" "Have I prepared him for all that's out there?!" I am so grateful that I've gotten to stay home and be there every single second of his days - good or bad!
You are beautiful and amazing and one day even your kids will realize that! :-)
I am glad you posted a thank you post after this because I never got to read this and i'm so glad I did. I am right there with you.
I have had a HARD time lately being pregnant and still trying to be the "perfect" mom for my kids. And it only get harder when they get older because they see way more than they used to, so you have to be even more careful. Ok i'm probably scaring you more. haha. and trust me, just because I have more kids, doesn't mean I know more! ha I wish though!
But you are so not alone and I feel the same way a lot!
Post a Comment