Thursday, December 8, 2011

Big News

Burke swallowed a penny a month or two ago.  I didn't worry much about it & then had the thought that maybe I should be worried.  The doctor's office told me that standard procedure was to get an xray & make sure the penny wasn't lodged in his esophagus & was indeed in his stomach.  So we went.  Laurel watched Carson & Burke and I went up to the hospital.  He did so great waiting (forever.  twice) & was great during the actual x-ray.  The penny was in fact in his stomach.  We saw it the next day in his diaper.  Apparently pennies can do rapid/bad damage if lodged in the esophagus, but the doctor said they almost always go down.  He said dimes always do. 

Both boys were sick with a stomach bug & then colds & then a stomach bug again during October.  Good times.  Burkee was so sick the first day  -  throwing up, lethargic.  He just sat kind of in a lump on the couch & I brought him some crackers & a drink "Tenk you, Mommy" in the saddest, weakest voice ever.  Melt my heart.  And then he puked.  After that went through our house, Burke ended up with an ear infection just before Thanksgiving.  Turns out he's allergic to amoxicillin - broke out in hives all over.  Poor kid.  The nurse just to ride it out.  I didn't feel good about that - who wants to watch their baby writhe in itchiness?!  So I gave tiny doses of Benadryl, lots of baking soda baths, & slatherings of calamine lotion (which is not the same as the calamine from my childhood - is it?  Didn't smell the same & was way more liquid/runny than I remembered).  He's good as new now except for a couple of scabs where his hives got rubbed too hard.  And except for the night he woke up with a bad, croupy cough & now has a dry/tickle cough all the time.  This kid is one of a kind.  It's a good thing he's got meat on his bones & is so quick to laugh or all this would be a lot less fun than it already is.
This was only on day 1.  The got a lot more red & thick after this.  Not fun.



My window/calendar turned out pretty cute.  I (with the help of my mom & sister) made a Christmas advent calendar - took me FOREVER, but I'm happy with it.  Mom parents & Jenn & her girls came down for a quick visit right after Thanksgiving.  It was so fun to have them here & so fun to go shopping (big thanks to Mark for watching the kids one morning so we could go quick with few interruptions)! 









After Mark got home from his last trip, we bought some buddy passes from his brother to use sometime in the next year.  We were planning to go to Mexico but then we saw another very desirable available through our "timeshare" so we booked it (Danno)!!  We're leaving.......sometime........and I'll tell you all about it when we get back.  My mom will come stay with the kids & Mark & I will have some time alone!  Which is weird to think about because we've only spent 3 nights away from our kids & they weren't consecutive.  And aside from a date here & there & the time after the kids go to bed, we don't get to spend much time together (especially not in the last year since he's been gone for work so much) - hope we can get along!!


Oh And......we have big news!!  We haven't bought a van yet.  And we haven't started adding on to our house yet (who knows if that will really happen).  But we are expecting baby #3.  I'm 17 weeks right now.  Due May 15.  The first few months were a lot yuckier than I remember with the boys.  Not sure what that means.

So there you have it.  The current big news of our lives.  The holidays are here/coming.  The house is decorated.  The shopping is (pretty much) done.  I haven't made/eaten near enough baked goods yet.  We'll have to remedy that soon - especially because I can eat guilt free this year (unborn children appreciate fat & sugar, no?)!!

7 comments:

kyleandtaryn said...

Nice work throwing it in there at the end. Haha. Yay! I'm so excited for you! (For the baby AND vacay)I was SOOOO sick with the girls so there might be a pink bundle in store for you. :) Poor Burke and his hives. He's still cute, red blotches and all.

Laura The Adams said...

Yes!!!! And hullo, 17 weeks?! You certainly kept that quiet, lady! Will you be finding out the gender in a few weeks or will you keep that to yourself too? ;)

kelsey said...

I called this like 6 months ago, and have been waiting anxiously for the announcement. . . lol. Also, the blog post title completely gave it away and I was mostly skimming through everything else to get to it! YAY!!! I'm excited for you. I hope it's a girl, then maybe next time I'll get a boy. That would be good, right? Then you can finally use all your girl stuff and give me all your boy stuff!

Why can't I just know where you're going? So suspenseful. Also, that is amazing that you guys are taking that time for yourselves. Very worthwhile and exciting. We can relate with the no dates, no nights away thing. It might give me anxiety the first time we ever take a long trip somewhere (like, longer than a day).

Burke's hives are so sad, but he's freaking darling.

Longest comment ever. That's what happens when you don't blog very often then cram it all in and there are a million things to comment on!

Rachel Holloway said...

SO, SO, SO happy for you! Now go get a van. You're gonna be in mom HEAVEN! :)
Congrats!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

you are such a turkey - a pregnant little turkey.
Stringing me along all the way to the end...I was hoping that was the BIG NEWS! (and that the highlight of all your experiences wasn't Burke swallowing a penny.)
I'm excited for you and Mark to get some alone time. It's important. Congrats to you guys!

mari said...

I am happy you are having another baby! Just a few weeks behind me! Hoping for a girl I bet or maybe not! ?! You have got the boy thing down!

Francis Family said...

lol I did the same as Kelsey! It's like us moms have a radar and everyone is pregnant all the time when we here anything about news or announcements!
Congrats though! I hope you get a little girl next! I was super sick all my pregnancies so there is hope! ;)
Glad things are going so good for you!