Friday, January 13, 2012

Carson Can (almost) Read!



We have a leapfrog toy with the letters of the alphabet that you can plug into the base & it makes the sounds & sings a song about each letter.  It's magnetic & looks so cluttered on the fridge, but the kids like it.  Anyway, he's been spelling his name with the letters & the other day I asked him to spell 'cat' & he did!  And then he spelled 'dog'!  And then he spelled a couple of other things that rhyme with 'cat'.  Anyway, it was pretty neat & he was pretty happy with himself.

We got a list of pre-k sight words from the library a while ago & pull those out once in a while & have him sound them out.  They aren't sight words yet, but he's getting faster at sounding them out.  Last night Mark was reading books before bed with him & had him sound out a bunch of the words & he was having an easier time recognizing the ones he'd already sounded out.  It was so neat to see his face light up & get excited about his accomplishments!

Today I printed off the sight words & I'm going to laminate them & stick them on the fridge so he can keep practicing.

We've been looking into getting him enrolled in the Spanish Dual Immersion program offered at our elementary school.  Registration starts mid-February, but it's a lottery system so there's no guarantee he'll get in.  We've talked to him about it & he seems excited, so hopefully it will work out.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Wahoo for Carson! I should probably do stuff like that with Olivia. I feel too exhausted lately to be a good mom. Way to be Hilary! Oh and I loved seeing your little bambina... ultrasound profiles are my favorite.