I went for my 20-week ultrasound on December 30. But let me back up a bit. When we first told Carson that we were expecting, he told us it was going to be a baby sister & her name would be "Kelly." I asked him the morning of the ultrasound what he thought it was. A girl. I asked what he would think if it was a baby brother. "I'll just be bored." I wasn't sure how I would break the news to him or keep him from being too disappointed if it wasn't a baby sister.
Anyway, I had a regular check up that morning at 8:45 & then my ultrasound was at 10. The nurse told me to drink 32 oz of water between 8:30 & 9 to be ready with a full bladder for my ultrasound. She didn't let me pee in the cup for my appointment because she wanted to be sure I'd be good and ready. My check up went well. I went down the hall & got registered, etc with the hospital & then waited for my ultrasound appointment. And tried not to pee my pants. Baby didn't like being crowded out & started kicking/punching the overly-full offending organ. Finally it was my turn & I waddled in & laid on the table. The tech was really nice & got up to see if the bottle of gel was warm yet because, "there's nothing worse than cold gel!"
"Except" I replied, "having to go to the bathroom this bad!"
She stopped in her tracks and said "did they tell you to come with a full bladder!?"
"Yeah" my tone was one of 'they tell you that every time & every time it's REALLY miserable'.
"A woman 20-weeks pregnant can't hold a full bladder like that!"
"I could have told you that!"
By this time she already had the gel on my belly & so she decided to check & make sure I didn't need to have a full bladder. "Oh no!" She says "I can see the baby just fine! It's only if you're here before 20 weeks that you need a full bladder"
Both of us at the same time: "Oh my heavens!!"
So I went potty. It was great!
Then she did the ultrasound. Baby was folded right in half with knees by the face & feet over the head. The tech kept giggling saying she'd hadn't really seen a baby in this position for so long. She got a bunch of measurements & then decided to see if we could find out the gender. Baby's legs were squeezed shut over the head so there wasn't a good shot. I went to the bathroom one more time to see if that would shift the baby. It shifted into sitting cross-legged - with a foot covering the crotch. So we were there for like an hour. The tech said she had a hunch of what it was and after quite a while of wiggling & waiting, she was 85% sure and then a few minutes later she was 95% sure it was girl! She said in most cases shes 98% sure, so I'm not really certain how to take that. In light of what happened with Carson - us being told he was girl & then being surprised at his delivery - Mark & I both had a hard time getting too excited. I'll probably still take 2 different colors of outfits to the hospital with me. I'm pretty set on one girl's name, but I'll probably come up with a short list of boy names too. I was at Target the other day surrounded by darling baby girl clothes & couldn't get myself to spend any money on something that might not get used. I have a big bin of baby girl stuff I got from my baby shower for the baby that was supposedly a girl/Carson.
So the ultrasound tech - Heidi - was filling in at our hospital, but she usually works down at Utah Valley. She said I could call & ask for her & set up an appointment for free with a student just to make sure. And she was pretty curious herself. Not sure if I'll take her up on that or not. But because she was filling in, she wasn't sure how to put the pictures from the ultrasound on a disc. She thought she did, but I put it in yesterday & nothing came up. Hopefully I can call up there tomorrow & they're backed up somewhere so we can have 1st pictures of our new little bundle!
Carson was, of course, ecstatic that it was a girl. Hopefully that really turns out to be true because we will have one sad little boy on our hands if this baby comes out a brother instead of a sister!
Sunday, January 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congrats!!! Thats so exciting!! Yeah Zac was disappointed for a minute when he found out we were having a boy! But he's ok with it now. And happy about it :)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT IS ALL. I could hardly keep my eyes reading everything, trying to skim to the gender part!
yay! I had the same type of experience at my ultrasound. I keep questioning if it really is a boy or if I was going to have a "hilary experience" at the hospital!
A girl would be fun... You make cute kiddos! :)
Post a Comment