made some new friends in the neighborhood & spent the summer running back & forth & "having a mahvelous time!" He is such a good helper when it comes to Lottie. He's always there trying to make her happy if she's fussing & loves to make her smile & laugh.
Carson took 3 separate sessions of swimming lessons this summer. He took the lowest level (white) last year and his teacher reluctantly signed him off & passed him on the next level (yellow). He's a pretty timid kid, so I signed him up for white again at the beginning of the summer & yellow a few weeks later. He did well in white but his teacher reluctantly signed him off. We practiced a bit of what he'd do in yellow with Gramma Jo & Grampa Brett, but he cried all the way to his lesson when it was time to go. There was a boy there who would get in the pool with him & try to help him & by the end of the week he wasn't quite as scared. I didn't want to end his swimming experience for the summer on that note, so I signed him up for a session at the pool in Kamas. He wouldn't get in the water from the edge of the pool on his first day & I was worried it would be a repeat, but all he wanted to do was start in the shallow part & walk to where his class was. Whew! He did pretty good. When we were at Sandpoint he learned how to paddle around all by himself with his life jacket on!! He just likes to do things his way in his own time!
He turned 5 in June. He had been begging me for months to play the little 'arcade' games in the entrance of Wal-Mart. You know, move the hook & try to grab a prize. So we rounded up all the quarters we could find & went and did that. Then rode on "Poomba". Then went to the $ store & picked out a toy & then went to Day's to pick out a doughnut.
He's getting pretty good at reading and writing. I got after him tonight for spitting on his brother & he went to his room because I hurt his feelings. He came out & apologized to Burke & then asked for a paper. He got one and a pencil & wrote "NO NO NO MOM" on it. Not a bad emotional outlet for anybody, let alone a 5-year-old boy.
He's very reverent & knows a lot of answers in Primary. We're working on being more reverent in Sacrament meeting and during family prayer. We've been reading a scripture at lunch time before he goes to school
& he's happy to listen to the explanations & ask
questions and answer questions.
He started Spanish dual immersion Kindergarten and is loving it. He didn't hesitate for a minute to go to his class. I waited around for a few minutes when I dropped him off on Friday & saw him go up to a boy "with Spanish skin"(not a derogatory term; just the way he distinguishes) & ask him if he wanted to play. I love to walk home with him after school and hear about his day.
I worry sometimes that I expect too much from him. And I'm probably too hard on him sometimes. He's only 5 after all. But it's because he's such a great kid and has so much potential. I want him to be the best he can be. I know he can be a really great student and missionary and husband and dad.
He's pretty fun to have a conversation with when he isn't pinging off the walls. I find I'm often surprised at the things he's thinking about & asking about - in a good way.
Favorite saying this summer: cheering for "america" and "usa" during the olympics and recognizing the flags for the States & "Great Brittney".
Favorite thing lately: his killer dance moves
Worst thing: was hanging on the counter & slipped off & jammed his top teeth almost all the way through his bottom lip.
He's pretty much the best 5-year-old in the history of the world - love him to pieces.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe he is 5! I always track time with the kids in our family that have been born since Paul and I got married...it's weird to think that he was in your belly when we got married and now he is in kindergarten! Time is moving way to fast!
Post a Comment