Monday, September 14, 2009

The Baby's Here! The Baby's Here!

It all started Monday, the 7th around noon. Mark had suggested the day before that we barbecue the next day, & any time Mark has a dinner idea I jump on it! So I went to the grocery store to get hamburger buns & milk. While I was there I had two quite strong contractions. I didn't think much of it - I was two weeks away from my due date. We went home & had lunch (taco soup = bad idea) & I laid down on the couch for a few minutes to see if the contractions would go away. I had four in an hour, but I still didn't worry much about it. But if today was the day, I wanted the house tidy before I left. So I picked up toys, etc. & attempted to sweep the floor, but Carson took over that job & Mark ended up finishing it. I decided if I was going to the hospital, I didn't want to go with greasy hair (I did shower that day, I just didn't wash my hair). So I showered & did my hair. Then I took Carson for a drive to put him to sleep (this was around 4pm). I picked Mark up on the way home so he could have the car to come get us when it was time to go to the hospital. All the while I'd been timing my contractions. They started at about 20 minutes apart & by this time they were around 14 minutes apart. I laid on the bed & kept keeping track. 12 minutes, 8 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes.
Finally by about 5pm I called Mark & said, "I think I need to go" & he dashed home. He grabbed the bags & threw Carson in the car. We dropped Carson of at Grandma's & hurried to the hospital. We had to wait for a red light & about a million cars to pass to make the left turn into the hospital all while I'm feeling like I need to push this baby out! We pulled up at the ER & Mark ran in & got a wheelchair (something he'd failed to do when I had Carson......) & the buddy driving it didn't know how to drive. Anyway, I made to the L&D room & they gave me a gown to change into & "could we get a urine sample?" Um, no. I couldn't undress myself, let alone get a sample. I had to call Mark in to help me change & I told the nurse that I needed to push. So I got up on the bed & the nurse asked me if I delivered naturally last time. I said yes at first & she asked me again & I said no. Why do they ask you to think during a time like this? So she got her gloves on & checked for what seemed like ten minutes (probably was 15 seconds) & she said, "You're complete. You don't have time for an epidural. The only thing keeping that baby in there is the bulging sack of waters!" "Shoot," I said (I didn't even swear once thru the whole thing - believe it!) So they hurry & call my doctor & thankfully he makes it there in great time. He changes quick & then they break my water - remember I can feel everything! The baby's head still had to come down a little ways & regular pushing wasn't doing anything so Doc says, "We're going to try something a little different. You're going to bring your knees up to your chest & then push & that should push the baby down." In my head I'm screaming, "DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'RE ASKING ME TO DO?!!??" Luckily the nurse & Mark held my legs up for me & started pushing. One set of 3 pushes got the baby down & then it was time to push him out! It was all quite surreal & excruciating! I kind of came back into my head for a second & realized that I was the one screaming & making all the noise!! Ok, it wasn't screaming - more like loud noises of strain. So I decided that was dumb & it wasn't helping anything & I tried to stop, but I couldn't! It was so involuntary! So I kept pushing & the head was halfway out. Then it was all the way & "Do you want to rest for a second?" Rest sounded heavenly, so I tried to relax & decided that was worse than pushing so I told them, "no, let's keep going!" So probably 4 or 5 sets of pushes later he was out (the shoulders coming out were worse than the head!) He cried right away & Mark got to cut the cord. He looked pretty blue when he came out & I thought that was weird - I didn't remember that with Carson - but I guess it's quite normal.

They laid him on me for a second & I wasn't sure what to think - one minute he's in my belly, the next he's making his way down the birth canal (at which point I thought, "You probably have to go through this so the baby at the end seems wonderful. Wait a second. This baby better be worth this!) & the next minute he's out in the world & he's yours. weird. Anyway, the nurses took him over to the table & they would talk & comment & then I'd hear "Oh! Oh!" - he peed all over everyone/everything at least 2 or 3 times.

Meanwhile, I'm delivering the placenta & then getting stitched up. This was the worst part. I was sore & shaky & Doc is pulling & stretching & stitching & ........ uuugggghhhhh. He numbed me a little so putting the stitches in wouldn't feeling pokey, but I could still feel him tugging & whatnot - eeeww.

So bottom line: Burke Spencer (Mark's middle name is Spencer) Seiter was born September 7th, 2009 at 5:49pm. He weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce & was 19.5 inches long. He's healthy & (so far, knock on wood) a really good baby! We went for his one week check-up today & everything looks great. He weighed 8lbs 4oz (he'd lost 6 ounces in the hospital, so he's gained it all back, plus some). We're so happy he's here & that he's healthy (and that he really was a boy).

Carson loves his little brother & always wants to "Say Hi" & "hode 'em" & give him his binki. Right when we got home from the hospital, I put Burke in the bassinet in our room & went into the bathroom & I thought Carson was with Mark, but when I came out, Carson had pushed his little potty up next to the bassinet & was leaning over & stroking Burke's blanket. So cute!

The two boys & I stayed home Wednesday, Thursday, Friday because Mark's the only one at the shop & had a lot of work to do. My parents got here Friday night & have been such a huge help with everything & I'm really glad for the company. Things are going really well. Burkie (Baby Burke, Burkie Burke) is up to 3 hours between feedings at night. I feel pretty good especially since I've been able to nap since my mom & dad got here.

So there you have all the gory details! I've haven't proofread this, as I'm sure you've noticed. I'm going to go help put Carson to bed & then get Burkie ready for bed too. Sorry these pictures aren't in any kind of order.

Sunday after Church. "Wanna hode 'em"

Taken Thursday
Thursday again. This is how I found him when I came out of the bathroom.
First family picture! Taken Monday night.
Carson meeting Burke for the first time Monday night!

15 comments:

Laurel said...

Ok, I'm sorry for pestering you about the pictures, but I really am so so glad you posted. I am VERY jealous that you have your little boy. I am so anxious to be where you are... and it isnt because I am sick of being preggers. I told Tim it's like, I know what I am getting for Christmas- and it's awesome, but I still have to wait until Christmas to get it and it is totally not fair. I am really really happy for you guys. Carson seems like he is going to be a great big brother. Oh and sorry you were too late for the epidural, but at least it went fast... way to go. Is it weird that I really hope I go into labor naturally like you did/do? I feel like there is something masochistic about me wanting to have painful contractions all day. I can't help myself, I just think it would be way more exciting than driving to the hospital a week after the baby is due and casually walking up and waiting for nurses and doctor trick your body into thinking it is in labor. LAME. Congratulations and have fun with your parents.

Brooke & Ryan said...

Congratulations! He is so cute! That is such a great birthing story. You are amazing. I definately agree that the stitching at the end is not fun. I only had it once as my babies have gotten smaller each time and the recovery is so much better without those stitches. I have heard that recovery is way better doing it naturally, is it? Congratulations again and I think two kids is sooo fun enjoy it!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Oh happy day!
I really thought you were doing a "boy that cried wolf" post.
You weren't! He was early. What an obedient child!
Congratulations. He's perfect. Sounds like things are going really well so far. 2 is lots of fun! (lots of work too, but lots of fun!)

kelsey said...

AH!!! I'm so glad you posted. I loved every detail. I so wish something like that will happen with my next one. it sounds perfect, even the excruciating part--- hehehe. I don't want an epidural ever again, so i'm hoping the next one is quick like that so i don't have to decide!
i'm so glad he's just growing and eating and sleeping for you! yay!!! 3 hours already, is a dream. i love it. i love him. i love that your parents are there to help!!!
YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! He looks perfect and is such a doll:)..Glad the L&B went well, you brave girl you!...Good luck with two!:)

Amber said...

Im glad things are going good, and holy cow. That's complete craziness! CONGRATS you guys, you two are great parents, and Im glad that Carson LOVES his little brother! He is so darling, both of them! Talk to you soon, Hope all is well!

kelsey said...

just me again, wishing i could snuggle little burkie! that's all. oh yeah, and you're awesome.

Ty and Mari said...

You are a strong women! Congratulations Hil! I am so glad all is well and he came out a boy!

Rachel Holloway said...

CONGRATS! What a beautiful little guy!!!

Jenn said...

Great post Hil! I'm so proud of you! I'm also a little jealous that you have experienced natural contractions and I never will.... I totally have baby fever right now, and only because I'm missing Carson and Burkie so much right now! Every baby I see just completely tugs at my heart-strings!! And then London beams and kicks her legs when she sees me and gives me a big hug - and I know I don't need (or want!) any more of my own. My 2 are just perfect. I'll be quite content enjoying everyone else's!
19 Days until I see you!

The Lowry's said...

Congrats. Glad everything went well. What fun to have two boys (although having one of each is wonderful too)

Francis Family said...

congrats Hilary, you have quite the cute little family. I can't believe how grown up we all are. Time sure flies.

Josh and Cambree said...

Congrats Mark and Hil! Thanks for telling the whole story, it's so exciting! Burke is adorable and I'm glad everything went well.

Amy and Brandon said...

Hilary,

I found your blog on the Pankhurst's site. Congrats on baby #2! He's a cutie...and so is your first! You definitely produce handsome offspring. :) Your blog has convinced me that I want an epidural. haha...thank you.

I hope you're okay with me adding a link to your blog from our blog www.hillsteadfamily.blogspot.com. once again, congrats! hope all is well with you and mark!

Unknown said...

COngrats! Love the story, i'm wondering when my storys coming now. i keep telling brett i hate the waiting game... not knowing what day to have the house clean clean.... i love the natural birth stories good job for you! its nice to experience the whole thing and get the rush at the end! good luck with two boys... i'm sure it'll be crazy busy! but awesome