Two weekends ago Mark & I went to the temple & left Carson with Grandpa. Grandma's been busy getting her new classroom set up at school & she was there on this night. Grandpa & Carson made her some dinner & took it to her at "the gule." Carson was having fun running through the halls & then ended up telling Grandpa he needed to go potty. Grandpa was reluctant because Carson doesn't know how to use the potty, but after much persistence from Carson, he thought he'd take of Carson's dipe & let him sit on the potty. Well it turns out Carson had already gone potty (#2) & Grandpa didn't have the dipaer bag!! So Grandpa did the best he could & cleaned him up in the sink, etc & buttoned up his onesie & headed for home.......but not without a little #1 action before they got there. Luckily there were pajamas in the diaper bag at home. Anyway, Mike was laughing telling us this story & I felt so bad that he had to deal with all that, but he took it in stride. And then he felt bad that he took a phone call that lasted a long time & couldn't take Carson out to swing on the swing! Carson still talks about "I go to the gule wiss Cappaw. To Gamma's gule."
Today at the shop, Carson wanted Grandpa to "go pick 'em peas." One of the shop employees planted a ton of beans, peas, & corn behind the shop & Carson loves to go back there & pick peas with Grandpa. Mark had just finished telling me how much pressure Mike feels to get more done at the shop & here's Carson begging him to go out back & pick peas (which there really aren't any left this late in the season). I said to Mike, "You're at work & you don't need to entertain Carson. Don't feel like you have to go back there!" He just grinned & said "He wants to pick 'em peas! How can I resist?" So they went back & found two or three pea pods that were still green. Then once they came back to the shop, Carson headed over to where the little bags of chips are & turns to me & asks, "What kinda chips you want?" I told him he better ask Dad if that's ok. So he walked over to where Mark & Mike were standing & grabs Grandpa's hand & says "Have some chips, pwease?" and starts pulling him over to where the chips are. I guess he knows where his bread gets buttered! So Grandpa held him up & let him pick a bag of chips & helped him open them. Carson took them outside & sat on the curb outside the door & started munching away & Grandpa went & sat down beside him & they shared some chips.
Grandpa's always getting down on the floor to play (the picture above is so typical!) & keeps Carson entertained in Sacrament Meeting & really tries to understand what Carson's saying & asks his opinion about things, etc......
There are similar stories to these involving each of his grandparents & I'm just so grateful that he has these great influences in his life to help him learn & grow & feel loved and important.
2 comments:
Cute post Hil.
I'm sure Cappaw Brett is a great grandpa too but I loved reading your post and thinking about what a great grandpa Mike is. He is so patient and loving and he really does listen to our little kids and tries to understand them... no matter how busy he may be. What a good Grandpa. Plus Carson is cute with all his words and the way he thinks. How fun.
Post a Comment