Sunday, January 31, 2010

News

We have some exciting news at our house. I hate to say anything in case things don't turn out well......but.........Carson is doing wicked-awesome at using the potty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We came home from presidency meeting on Tuesday (one of the little girls there went potty a couple of times) and Carson took his diaper off & pooped on the little potty we got for him like a year ago!!! It was his idea, so I RAN with it. We've been setting the timer for 15 minutes. We had a couple of wet pairs of pants the first two days, but since then it's been a BREEZE!!!! We haven't had to clean up any messes or even use much bribery. He loves to wash his hands after (and they're so dry & red) & I think that's the reward he likes the best. I've tried to be really patient & nice & positive (I think I've mostly succeeded) and I think that makes all the difference. I want him to feel successful at this (I admit - if he succeeds, that's one less person's diaper I have to change) because he's excited about it & I think it has made him feel more grown up. I try not to tell him he's a big boy, because he doesn't like that for some reason. I think he wants to be a little boy like Burke & hold our attention all the time. Which may be why he likes going potty so much - it's (mostly) undivided attention & praise every 15 minutes! Lots of times he'll beat the timer & lots of times he doesn't have to go for an hour or so, but he knows when he has to - and I'm LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!

He's also been napping a lot lately. I think maybe the processing & learning of it all is taking it out of him.....who knows......who cares......he's using the potty AND taking naps......what more could I ask for? Here he is with his pants pulled up almost to his armpits. He's been wearing pj pants & "undies" (Cars undies) because he can get them up & down by all himself. Bless him! I get such a kick out of him running around in his little undies & a shirt. It makes him seem so grown up!!

Here's Burkie in a fabulous toy that we're borrowing (thanks Lolo!) He loves it....he put himself to sleep in it this morning!

Our neighbor across the street drives school bus sometimes & he had it at his house to clean it out before a field trip. His wife came over to see if Carson wanted to come over & look inside of it. He was in the tub, so I ran in there & said, "Carsie, do you want to go look at the big bus?" "Yeah!!!!" "Ok, let's get out of the tub so we can go see!" "I can't go in my naked!" "No, you've gotta go get dressed!" So we got him dressed & he kept talking about going to see the "bwessing".....no Carsie, it's a bus, not a blessing.......whatever........... He loved it!! We got to see the engine & hear the air horn. It was really fun!

Here he is scooted all the way over so I could come sit by him. "You sit riiiiight here."

Life is good!! (Except when everyone's crying & we're all hungry & tired & grouchy......then Dad comes home for dinner & saves the day........and everything seems good again. Bless him - extra!)

6 comments:

Amber said...

congrats on the potty training! WAY TO GO! Anyways- talk to you soon! = ) Your pics are so cute, looks like Carson loved the school bus!

kyleandtaryn said...

Yay for Carson! That's so great. Less diapers are definitely a plus. I swear we fill at least one garbage bag a week just with Claire's. Ew. Burke has the same jumperoo thingy as us...Claire LOVED hers. Cute pics!

Paul, Brittney, and Avery said...

Can't wait to see those cute boys in a few days!

Jo said...

darling post! Loved the story and the pictures. That Burkie sure seems bright -eyed and happy in his jumper.

kelsey said...

dang it. i haven't even commented, and it's been a week! sheesh. you can slap me.
super exciting that carson is potty trained--- yay for him, and you. what's it like not to change a diaper? i don't really remember much before that. . . lol.
love the school bus pic, when he wants you to sit by him!

Becky said...

YAYYYYY for potty success! I'm toying with the idea of getting my 2nd started but I just haven't had the guts yet...It's GREAT to hear someone having good success with it!

Your kids are ADORABLE!! And you are such a fun mom! I love the bus story! What great neighbors to realize Carson would get such a kick out of it!