This is the poster I made for our upcoming Enrichment Night. I just found out last night that they rearranged the schedule for the building because of Thanksgiving, so who knows what we'll do. There's another ward's Enrichment scheduled for the same night as ours.
These are some treat bags I "made". I just glued some paper on them & used some black tule doilies that I've had since the Rexburg days...
In the Relief Society broadcast last month, President Uchtdorf told to us to "create". It's kind of neat because I feel that need all the time. I remember a while ago I was kinda blah & couldn't figure out why. Finally it dawned on me that I hadn't had a project or 'created' something for a long time. Funny how working on a project and using your talents and accomplishing something you're proud of can lift your spirits. (Not like pride - proud, but pleased proud.)
Pride makes think of the this talk I 'watched' on KBYU a few nights ago. It was from BYU Education Week or Women's Conference or something. Anyway, her talk was on pride. She had lots of quotes from President Benson's talk on pride & some funny stories. Then she listed a bunch of attributes.....it was ME!! I'm totally afraid to show weakness, or ask for help, or not be right. Then I got to thinking....the people I enjoy being around are enjoyable because they share things about themselves and aren't afraid to tell about times they were embarrassed or did something wrong. I've never been good at talking about myself or my feelings *shudder* but I think blogging is really helping me do that. It's much easier to write things down (and edit them when needed...) and have you read them without me having to be there. That's kind of a problem in some ways tho. Our world is turning into a non-contact society. I know it's a lot easier for me to send an email than it is to make a phone call. I don't necessarily mind talking to people in person, but I dread the phone!! Who knows why? I always have. Anyway, I think if I were more apt to share more, I'd be less inclined to feel like I have to be perfect all the time & can't show my true self. I'm sure there are those who think I have way more personality in writing than I have in real life!! I'm trying to change that. I've always been kind of reserved around 'outsiders' but I'm working on just being myself all the time. (My nice, best behaved, funny self, of course;) I'm even finding that my prayers are becoming more open and true-to-self than ever before. All along the one person I should've been most open with - Heavenly Father - has been getting the least information. I know He already knows what I'm thinking & feeling, but there's something about saying things out loud and forming actual words to illustrate my thoughts. (In my mind, I tend to think in feelings or groups of ideas rather than words and complete thoughts. That's why I rarely comment in Church & probably why I hate talking on the phone. I know what I'm trying to convey, but the words to explain my jumbled thoughts come out all.....jumbled)
Anyway, this went from a "look what I did" to a group therapy session. I know I feel better. Who's next? Bob?
"Hi. I'm Bob"
"Hi, Bob"
"I'm here because......"
2 comments:
Good for you, Hil. I can relate so much to a lot of what you are saying. I'm glad you are learning about yourself. SO glad that you are finding enjoyment in creating things - you really are good at it! Your treat bags look so neat with the black tule.
I feel the same way, I think that is why I dont talk a whole lot. ??? I never liked talking on the phone either. Oh, so if you and Mark end up coming up for the Utah came, make sure you try to come earlier so we (you, brizz, and me)can go see the twilight movie!... Have you read the twilight books?
Post a Comment